Wednesday, February 6, 2013

The King's Speech

Most people who know me, and tried to decide on a film to see with me on a given day, know that as I got older I started developing a strong aversion to anything that is overly dramatic and/or tragic. It might be childish of me (though I've decided to see it as a sign of intellectual maturity, so blame me if you dare) but I don't like coming away from a movie depressed and teary eyed. Before, I used to think that all really good movies had to involve tragedy (a belief steaming from the absolutely overwhelming number of bad endings in everything that is popularly considered high culture), but while I still appreciate conflict and tension, I no longer think a film (or a book for that matter) needs to end badly to be considered a masterpiece.

The King's Speech is one of these films that proves my point for me.



The cast for this movie is absolutely amazing, and they made one of the very best films I have seen in the last few years.



Tom Hooper..............................................Director

Colin Firth.................................................King George "Bertie" VI
Helena Bonham Carter..............................Duchess of York / Queen Elizabeth
Geoffrey Rush...........................................Lionel Logue
Derek Jacobi..............................................Archbishop Cosmo Langi
Jennifer Ehle..............................................Myrtle Logue
Timothy Spall............................................Winston Churchill
Guy Pearce................................................King Edward VIII
Michael Gambon.......................................King George V
Eve Best....................................................Wallis Simpson

This film is based on the story of King George VI, the current Queen' father, on the years surrounding his accession to the throne. It is an intimate portrayal of the royal family, centred on his struggles with his speech impediment, and the friendship he developed with Lionel Logue in his attempts to overcome it, as well as his reluctance to accept the responsibility of the crown which is finally trust upon him after his older brother abdicates in order to marry the woman he loves.


The acting in the film is absolutely phenomenal - there are no excesses, every actor plays vividly, but never garishly. Collin Firth, in particular, delivers a very moving performance, and the stutter of his character is present but never exaggerated, never turning ridiculous, which I greatly appreciate. 


I particularly loved Helena Bonham Carter as the Duchess of York - her first meeting with Lionel Logue is one of the funniest scenes I have ever had the pleasure of seeing. She is also amazing as the supporting and loving wife - often staying hopeful for her husband when he has all but given up. 

And one can not talk about this film without mentioning the amazing performance of Geoffrey Rush, who makes an amazing duo with Collin Firth. Their therapy sessions are great as moments of comic relief, and are the basis of a lifelong friendship.


Funny, intense, moving, profoundly human - this is one of those films that should not be missed.





I saw this film again for the Challenges over at Persephone's blog, and kind of hit the jackpot with this one as we have both Colin Firth and Michael Gambon for the Gentlemen, and Helena Bonham Carter for the Ladies.



My point tally is therefore:

- Gentlemen: 2 actors + 1 film = 3 points
- Ladies: 1 actress + 1 film = 2 points + 4 from before for a total 6 points at this time


Yay me!


2 comments:

  1. I'm absolutely amazed! You do really well with the challenge Dearie! I'm so proud :D
    And I'm quite like you about tragic movie. Life can be horrid, I want magic and laugh in my life too! You have to read some romance you know....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dear! I can't promise I'll keep up this pace, even if I already have a few more films lined up (and am considering doing a "revisionage" of all x-men and LoTR movies one lazy weekend).

      Delete

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com